Axie Infinity game is one of the largest and best-known web 3.0 platforms, built on blockchain and using non-fungible tokens (“NFT”). Use of the Axie Infinity ecosystem has exploded lately.
The platform has actually provided residents of the Philippines with a means of earning income due to the displacement of jobs due to the Covid-19 pandemic. They have earned so much that the government has declared that the revenue generated by this platform is subject to income tax.
With nearly three million daily active players and $3.6 billion traded through its internal NFT market (according to its official webpage), Axie Infinity is worth looking into for gameplay and potential return on investment.
The Axie Infinity Game – Basic Concepts
Axie Infinity is a Play-To-Earn game, built on a distributed ledger (aka blockchain), where Axies are represented as NFTs, which are stored on a blockchain. Axies can be sold through the internal peer-to-peer marketplace. The Axie game is built on the Ethereum blockchain, and Axies are priced in ETH, Ethereum’s native cryptocurrency.
You can’t understand the Axie game without understanding some key terms, so let’s break them down:
- blockchain – Also known as Distributed Ledger. The main feature is decentralization. Blockchain enables safe, secure and pseudo-anonymous transactions without the need for a third party for transaction verification. Due to these attributes, it can be applied to any industry as a replacement for storing transaction data.
- Non-fungible tokens – A digital asset stored on the blockchain. It’s similar to a cryptocurrency, but each coin is unique instead of a handful of identical copies. They also cannot be duplicated or destroyed. This means it can be used to denote ownership of any digital asset on a blockchain, such as an Axie.
- Play to win – Often abbreviated as “P2E” and one of several gaming revenue generation models. This modern gaming model means players are rewarded for their time. Traditionally, gaming platforms simply took money from customers with no possibility of a reward.
- Cryptocurrencies/Tokens – Unlike NFTs, cryptocurrencies are exchangeable for other tokens of the same class. For example, one Bitcoin will always equal one Bitcoin, and all Bitcoins are the same, like a handful of pennies. Axie Infinity calls their coin the Axie Infinity Shard ($AXS). The $AXS crypto governance token is used to claim rewards and even vote in the Axie ecosystem. Like all tokens, the price of $AXS coins can vary. Apart from the $AXS crypto token, the platform also uses Smooth Love Potions ($SLP) for NFT replication. The price of $SLP crypto can also vary.
- Staking – When you wager chips, they become locked and cannot be transferred or traded. You put them to work and you earn rewards for it. Much like earning interest on legacy bank deposits, but more efficient and integrated into a superior blockchain ecosystem.
That’s enough concepts to get you started in the Axie game!
Axie Infinity gameplay
To get started, you will need to download Axie Infinity, set up a digital wallet, and purchase Axies. After installing and downloading Axie Infinity, you can then engage in three-on-three battles against other Axie teams. There are two major game modes – player vs player (PVP arena mode) and player vs environment (PVE adventure mode).
The gameplay revolves around energy units. The more Axies you have, the more energy you generate. It costs one unit of energy to go into battle. This energy is needed to earn rewards in Arena mode and experience points in Adventure mode. You can go into battle without energy, but you won’t earn $SLP.
Smooth Love Potion skyrockets 70% in 24 hours behind Axie Infinity update
During battle, each Axie has four cards that represent a special ability. You can play four cards at a time, but players have to be smart about how they use their energy (most cards cost energy to play). The object of the gameplay is to kill all of your opponent’s Axies before they kill yours.
There are many tactical elements in the game. For example, it is often recommended to have a “Tank” in the front line, as they have powerful defensive abilities. In Arena matches, you’ll be positioned against players with similar skill levels so you don’t have to worry about your opponents not being much stronger.
Benefits of Axie Infinity Game
There are many reasons why the Axie game is so popular, and not just because of the financial rewards. Each Axie NFT has unique strengths and weaknesses due to their genes and you can even breed Axies to create offspring. There are six Axie categories to choose from: Insects, Beasts, Birds, Plants, Reptiles, and Aquatics.
Each Axie has four parts that represent a special ability. When buying Axies, note that the most powerful of them will have different parts that work together. For example, an Axie with four parts of the same nature will deal 15% more damage.
Moreover, there are open tournaments and you can also win rare treasures in adventure mode. You can even become an earth baron and create your own kingdom. Axie Infinity is continually adding new features to its online universe and the best way to understand the gameplay is to get started.
The Axie Infinity Crypto Market
Axie Infinity has its own internal marketplace for the sale of Axies, land and assets. The universe of Axie is known as Lunacia. The Katana Axie marketplace has also been live since November 2021. Katana Axie is a decentralized marketplace on Ronin, allowing easy trading of Axies. If you want to buy Axies on a marketplace like Katana Axie, you will need ETH.
Keep in mind that Axie Infinity is not a free platform, although the Katana Axie marketplace does reduce the fees a bit. There is an initial investment with your Axies. To start, you might need $700 to $1,000. Indeed, you will need three Axies, which cost between $200 and $350 each.
Also keep in mind that there are two Axie Infinity coins. The two Axie Infinity pieces perform different functions. The first is the $AXS crypto token. The second is the $SLP crypto token. The $AXS coin price, $SLP crypto price, and Axie Infinity price (the general price of Axies NFT) can all change over time. These tokens can be used on the Katana Axie market and other exchanges.
Additional Tools for Axie Infinity Crypto Game
There are other tools you can use to help you in Lunacia and the wider crypto universe of Axie Infinity. These tools may include:
- The Breeding Simulator This lets you paste the IDs of two Axies to see how the process would work (although that’s not a guarantee of the outcome).
- The Web Freaks extension displays the number of races, HP, speed, purity, pending exp and hidden genes for the game Axie Infinity.
- Price Calculator This allows you to paste in the Axie ID to see how much it’s really worth and what the Axie price should be. The Axie price may change continuously.
- AxieZone The AxieZone is a site dedicated to all things Axie. Visit AxieZone and use related tools to reduce the learning curve.
Take Away: The Axie Infinity Crypto Game
Axie Infinity game is engaging, addictive and fast-paced. It’s a mix of investment, gambling and strategy and it’s no surprise that millions of people are hooked.
The online community and support is huge and seems to be increasing rather than decreasing.
Axie game has a lot of special features and you will need to be focused and determined if you want to be competitive and profitable – just like in real life.
Kurt Ivy is a contributing writer to The Defiant.