With the significant growth in the pet industry year on year, now is the perfect time to start a new pet business. These businesses range from traditional veterinary clinics to unique pet supplies and niche services. Here are some of the top choices for pet lovers who want to start their own business serving pet owners.
Why You Should Start a Pet Business in 2022
Business opportunities for pets are plentiful today. Here are some benefits of breaking into this growing industry:
- Spending time with animals: Many pet business ideas require actual interaction with animals. Since these business owners are often pet owners themselves, many find this aspect enjoyable.
- Generate stable income: Studies have found that pet owners do not change their spending habits on pet products and services, even during a recession. They are more likely to reduce their own expenses.
- Enjoy flexibility: Many pet businesses, such as a mobile grooming business or pet sitting, can be done on your own time and without a physical location. It can reduce start-up costs and allow you to grow in a way that fits your lifestyle.
- Find fulfillment in your work: Helping animals can give your work a purpose. You can feel more fulfilled and personally motivated.
24 Amazing Pet Business Ideas
The pet industry includes tons of unique business opportunities, from specialty pet foods to accessories. Here are some ideas to consider regarding pets.
1. Pet Food Bakery: Organic food for Fido
Organic pet foods and treats are becoming increasingly popular, making them a potentially profitable business idea for pets. Open a local storefront and/or sell pet treats made with quality ingredients online.
2. Dog sitter: good for dog owners
If you love spending time with dogs, help other traveling pet owners by visiting Fido or taking them for a week.
Read more: How to start a pet sitting business
3. Dog walking: Pet owners can walk their dog too!
Those who enjoy spending time outdoors can charge a small fee for daily or weekly walks. Bring your own dog at the same time to multi-task.
4. Niche dog training business: you can save a life
Unfortunately, some dogs have aggressive natures due to past interactions. Most pet owners who adopt these animals may need specialized pet training to make these animals safe for family life. You would need training and experience working with aggressive dogs to serve this market.
5. Dog Breeding: Creating New Best Friends
A dog breeding business usually involves caring for a particular breed and raising puppies to offer to others. Some people choose dog breeders based on the need for a particular type of dog suitable for their family or their health condition.
6. Dog grooming: give Fido a new look
Dog grooming services include bathing, haircutting, nail trimming or filing, and sometimes even teeth brushing or cleaning. You can create a physical location or even start a mobile grooming business in a truck.
7. Pet store: Give pet owners the gear they need
A pet supply store may offer food, toys, outfits, kennels, and sometimes even animals. You’ll need retail space for your pet store, as well as vendor relationships to keep shelves stocked.
8. Cat Accessories: Building a Niche Cat Business
Many pet business ideas revolve around dogs. But cat owners also need toys, food, litter and accessories. Start your own in-person or online store to serve this niche market.
9. Service dog business: help those in need
Assistance dogs often help people with disabilities or can provide emotional support. These dogs must be trained prior to service, so you can breed and/or train dogs to fulfill this important role.
10. Pet boarding: help pet owners when they travel
A boarding house often has room to keep several animals at once, so it is ideal for those with lots of land. You can offer extended boarding for travelers, or even dog daycare services.
11. Behavior expert: working directly with animals
A behavior expert offers personalized training options for issues such as walking or obedience. Move to each customer to provide service without a physical location.
12. Vet: Keep Animals Healthy
Veterinarians obviously need specialized training. But these clinics can serve all kinds of animals to solve health problems and provide preventive care.
13. Pet Toys: Sell Handmade Creations
Many pet owners buy dog or cat toys to keep their pets happy. Sell your own handmade versions online for a flexible business option.
14. Pet Photography: Capture Their Best Looks
A wildlife photographer just needs a camera and an interest in capturing unique animal looks.
15. Custom Pet Portraits: Show off your artwork
If you enjoy drawing or painting, offer your services to pet owners who want a unique portrait to display in their home.
16. Wholesale Pet Food: Market Top Brands
Instead of making your own pet treats, offer pet foods from big brands at a small local store.
17. Social Media Personality: Show off your pet
Social media is not just for human influencers. Many pets have dedicated followings and paid relationships with pet brands.
18. Cat Cafe: Providing refuge for cat lovers
Cat cafes are becoming popular in many large cities. Think local cafe, but with cats.
19. Pet Marketing: Be a manager for animal celebrities
Marketers, offer your skills to famous pets or pet brands to carve out a unique niche for yourself.
20. Pet manicure: pamper pets
A pet spa operator can go beyond simple pet grooming services and offer luxury options like manicures.
21. Transporting pets: making it easier to get around
As a pet travel service provider, you can get pets to their destination as families move, or simply help arrange air travel for families traveling with pets.
22. Personalized Pet Tags: Keep Your Pets Close To You
Pet Tags display your address, contact information, and any instructions for those who might find your pet if they go outside. Custom create them using metal and press letters for each client.
23. Animal Blogger: Share Unique Stories Online
Blogging can earn you money through affiliate income, sponsored content, or traditional advertisements. Share pet-related content to bring value to other pet owners. It is also an ideal business for beginners since you can work on your own schedule.
Read more: Small business ideas for beginners
24. Pet Massage Therapist: Help Fido Relax
Massage therapy is a specialized pet service that can serve pets with muscle strains or various physical ailments.
Is it better to start a pet business online or in brick and mortar?
Pet stores and pet supply businesses were primarily brick-and-mortar establishments. But more and more consumers are buying online now. And many of the businesses above don’t require a physical location. Consider the type of business you’re starting, your customers’ expectations, and your budget when deciding between these options. There are also franchise opportunities for in-person and online businesses.
Read more: Pet Franchises: Canine Businesses Galore (Cats Too)
Image: Envato Elements
More in: Develop an idea